Nine Ways To Optimize Sleep
Good quality sleep ensures the body is able to recover each day. If you having trouble maintaining good sleep hygiene, try picking two of our tips to sleep better tonight.
Good quality sleep ensures the body is able to recover each day. All systems of the body heal and repair as we sleep, this allows us to maintain a sound mind in a healthy body. Are you having trouble with maintaining good sleep hygiene? See our helpful tips below and pick two today to sleep well tonight!
1. Put your computer and phone on silent two hours before bed, and turn off your WiFi.
Blue light from electronics can trick the body into thinking it’s daytime. Limiting screen time before bed allows the body’s circadian rhythm to adjust and prepare for sleep.
2. Stop drinking caffeine after 12:00 p.m.
Caffeine is a stimulant, which means that it can stimulate you to stay awake. Your afternoon coffee may be giving you more of a buzz long after you need it.
3. Eat 2-3 dates, a piece of fruit, or a spoonful of honey before bed.
Glucose allows the body to relax before bed and keeps blood sugar stable throughout the night to support sound sleep
4. Set a bedtime, and stay consistent with it.
The body loves routine. Setting a bedtime supports the body’s internal clock allowing us to fall asleep and wake up more easily.
5. Take 500mg of magnesium* 1-2 hours before bed.
Magnesium helps to relax the musculoskeletal system and is an excellent non addictive relaxant to prepare the body for a deep sound sleep. *always check with your doctor before starting any new supplements.
6. Swap out screen time for reading a book.
7. Use a white noise machine.
I love this white noise lite app.
8. Listen to a sleep meditation.
My favorite sleep meditation can be found here.
9. Limit alcohol consumption.
If you fall asleep easily and wake back up around 2:00 a.m., this is an indicator your liver is being disrupted by alcohol, try opting for a mock-tail instead. Check out this recipe for some ideas.
Photo by Dziana Hasanbekava from Pexels